"I did not walk out of Darr. I was removed from the film" - Aamir Khan, 1994

How important is money to you?
Money is important, but it's not the only important factor.

Does it bother you that you earn less compared to actors who do greater number of films?
No, because there are other things I'd like to do besides films. These things may not bring in that flow of money but I do them because I want to. You make it seem like you are not terribly happy about being a star.(Smiles) I'm quite satisfied with the way things are but I'd like them to be better. I'm slowly working towards achieving that. In fact, I have been at it for the last couple of years. Doing selective films is a part of the programme. At one time I was doing 11 films simultaneously and God, how unhappy I was. Today, I've cut down on my workload and am doing only three films.

In which case what is the logic behind doing such few films?
If logic is what I was looking for, I'd make the best of these years. Instead, by being extremely choosy and fussy I'm doing the most illogical thing. But I do it because I feel like it.

Has it occurred to you that this could be some sort of a defence mechanism?
Defence mechanism? From what? Haven't I worked with top banners, given successful films?

Yes, but not the way Shah Rukh Khan has in recent times. Do you feel envious of Shah Rukh's success?
I would if I did not get the response I do from my audience. I don't think the audience respects me any less than it does Shah Rukh. That he has had two blockbusters in a row (Baazigar & Darr), which is what Anil (Kapoor) had after Tezaab and later Salman (Khan), does not become a barometer for any star's popularity.

Then what does?
Something more long term than two hits. The current mass hysteria for Shah Rukh was inevitable. They do that to every hero after a successful release. I enjoyed it too after Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak, after Dil, after Hum Hain Rahi Pyar Ke. These waves come in everytime there's a hit. It's no big deal!!

Isn't it?
No.
Would you agree that you haven't been able to draw the right balance between creativity and success?
I think I have. Why do you say I haven't? Because there is no hype? Because I don't sell myself hard? Don't boast of my achievements to film magazines? I don't believe in media hype. I don't believe in channelising my energies for wrong motives. And despite this, let me tell you I want to be the country's most successful actor... Let's see, the race is not over yet!

Even though the rivals have overshot?
So what? They did because they had the talent. For myself, I can say that out of my 15 films, Five were successes. This is a very good strike record. As for creative satisfaction, I can safely say that to five out of these 15, I'm proud to lend my name to and I'm not sure how many actors can be so fortunate.

Critics feel that you don't market yourself as well as your rivals. That you don't cash in on your success.
That could be true. I don't market myself well. After Dil, I deliberately didn't sign a single film, a normal practice amongst actors after a successful release. I don't believe in this artificial enhancement of stardom... It's all so fake.

And Hum Hain Rahi Pyar Ke ?
It was the same. Akele Hum Akele Tum came much later, and very quietly that too.

Talking of HHRPK, did you feel that Juhi Chawla got more credit than you?
I got more than what was due to me. People unnecessarily credited me for directing the film when I didn't.

No contribution at all...?
Well, contribution maybe but then that's the level of contribution I make in all my films as an actor. And considering the script was mine, my involvement was a little more. Also the fact that my father was the producer. But this doesn't mean I directed the film. If I had directed, it would have been a better film.

Would you rate Juhi's performance better than your own?
No, I don't think so. I think her character was spicier than mine. It had more shades while my character was one dimensional. But I don't think the audience liked Juhi more than they liked me.

On to Juhi. While once you two were considered an ideal pair, today she is rated as a better pair with Shah Rukh Khan.
That's because she's doing films with Shah Rukh and not with me. My current assignments include Manisha (Koirala), Karisma (Kapoor), Mamta (Kulkarni) and Urmila (Matondkar) (looks out from the window to wave out at a fan passing by).

When you are travelling, what are your preoccupations?
That's impossible to answer. I think of so many things - sometimes personal, sometimes professional. I muse over my decisions sometimes.

Do you regret your decision of walking out of Darr?
One, I did not walk out of Darr. I was removed from the film. Two, I was removed from the film because I asked for a joint narration with Sunny Deol. Initially, the director agreed, but later I don't know why he changed his mind. When I persisted, he phoned to say 'Aamir, let's work some other time.' So I said, 'Fine'.

Do you feel bad now that the film is a huge success?
That the film was going to become a big hit is something I had expected. In fact, that's the reason I signed it.

Isn't that a contradiction, earlier you said that you sign films on choice not because they are going to prove commercially viable?
I said that success and failure are not in my control. But using my judgement for choosing a success or a failure most certainly is. And I was using this judgement when I accepted Darr. When I said yes to Darr, I was absolutely sure of two things - one that the film was going to click and two, that I was going to enjoy doing the role. My doubts about my enjoying it, surfaced when the director refused t give a joint narration. In a way I was relieved when I was finally out of the film, because this was better than suffering all through its shooting. If I felt sad, it was about my missing out on a very good role.

Would you work with Yash Chopra again?
No. I'll never work with him. Not after this incident. Our styles of working are different.
, ,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.