Karisma Kapoor - The Box-Office Sensation In Late 1990s

Karisma Kapoor's Interesting Interview From Late 1990s
Since you are doing so many films with different filmmakers, are you saying you are ready to take risks with your career?
Even Dil To Pagal Hai was a risk, considering most actresses refused to do the role. I took it up when Shahrukh & Madhuri's success was at its peak. I have always taken risks. When I joined this industry, I wanted to make it. I wanted to prove myself as an actress and be at the top.
I am sure everybody dreams of reaching a certain height. Thankfully, it happened with me. My hard work paid off with Raja Hindustani. I wanted to win an award and I got one. Then I got the National Award for DTPH. I feel I have achieved what I wanted to.
Today people think since I have five hits like Biwi No 1, Haseena Maan Jaayegi, Hum Saath-Saath Hai,Jaanwar and even Dulhan Hum Le Jayenge to my credit, what else could I want? I feel that all this is an added bonus for me. It's like the icing on the cake. I have proved myself over the years. With me, its never been that I gave a hit and I have become the rage like its happening these days.

Do you think you were appreciated in DTPH?
Honestly, I did feel that if I had it in me to do well in that role, and believe me I had the confidence, I thought people would notice me. And what better chance to prove myself than in a Yash Chopra film, opposite Madhuri Dixit and Shah Rukh Khan? You have to take risks and you have to do something different.

Different as in...?
I have worked a lot on my looks. In Raja Hindustani, which released in '96 and DTPH, in Hero No 1 which released in '97 and Biwi No 1... in all of them my look has been different. From my hairstyle to my makeup and clothes. In Jaanwar, I was a simple girl who only wears kajal and a choti. In Dulhan Hum Le Jaayenge, I wore a short wig.
Apart from the performance, I think looking good is also important. Wearing a short outfit doesn't mean that you are glamorous or sexy. You have to grow in that as well. You owe that to your fans.

How do you feel about your No 1 status?
In 1996, I was the No 1 actress because of Raja Hindustani. Kajol was nowhere around because she did not have any significant releases. Then in 1998 Kuch Kuch Hota Hai happened and people were chanting Kajol's name. I didn't have any release that year. Now, again, I am at the top. It feels great because you have worked so hard that you feel good about yourself. Eventually, though, these numbers don't matter.

So your hard work has paid off finally?
Yes, today I feel all my hard work has paid off. Those barbs and brickbats made me a stronger person and helped me reach where I am. I have no regrets, no bad feelings or ill feelings towards anybody. I feel it is a part of life, part of being in the industry.


Karishma Kapoor had toppled Box Office India's annual ranking for Five consecutive years, from 1996 to 2000. 

Have a look at "My Favorite Actress" Opinion Poll Results by Movie Magazine (1998)
Karisma Kapoor 61%
Juhi Chawla 21%
Madhuri Dixit 12%
Kajol 3%
Manisha Koirala 2%


, , , , , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.